Monday, March 1, 2010

DH Jones week ending 2/28

Mon 8 easy, foot stiff

Tues 6 easy foot better

Wed off snow plow

Thur 6.2 JA loop 47:10 foot much better

Fri 4.5 with 3 strides

Sat off

Sun 16+, 3.5 wu/race 1:00:52/ 3 wd, splits(5:33,5:27,6:15,6:15,6:15,6:05,5:50,6:05,6:30,6:37)

Total 41 miles year=594.5 Feb = 223.5

The DH Jones 10 mile was a race I have been looking forward to for several months. I really thought the way my Tempo's have been going, I would be Taking down my 10 mile PR Today. After just 4 miles I realized this was not going to be my day. I seem to struggle with any distance over 10k. As the distance of the race increases, my times seem to really slide downward. I am not sure if it is my lack of running longer races; this is only the 7th or 8th 10 miler I have ever run, I have only done one half marathon that didn't include a triathlon, and 7 Marathons, although I have yet to fully run the whole thing. I am sure the answer lies somewhere between my ears because I could not have trained harder than I did for this. I have to marvel at guys like Dan Verrington, Reno Stirrat, John Barbor, Norm Larson. No matter the distance, age, time of year they are consistantly at the top of the results. I guess that is what separates great runners from guys like me who struggle to be average.

On the bright side CMS had a great showing, 2nd in the open div, and 1st in the Masters division. It is going to be a great battle for 1st with Wirlaway this year. In the end I did run a 40+ PR by 53 seconds and I averted an injury disaster by taking the last 2 weeks mostly off. I can now look forward to training hard again, keeping the faith in my plan of high miles, and well maybe I can talk my wife into heading to Newburyport in July to bag my 10 mile PR!

2 comments:

  1. nice job Dave! Congrats on the 40+ PR!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amherst is a bear of a course. Tough to get a PR there. I thought I might get close but it didn't happen for me either. We'll just have to gear up for NB. BTW, congrats on your PR.

    ReplyDelete