Monday, November 23, 2009

Slattery's and Training 11/16-11/22

mon 5 miles easy around the farm and soccer fields
Tues 6.2 JA loop with Brian 46:30
Wed off
Thur off
Fri off , I had to force myself to take 3 days in a row off. Although I had to change a hydrolic line on my loader and was crumpled up like a pretzel underneath it for 5 hours making most of my body ache for the next two days.
Sat 4 miles 7:45 pace from home
Sun 10 total 3 mi w/u, race slatterys, 2+ cool down to watch Paula finish her first 5 miler
Total 25 year=2230 2nd lowest week this year

Slattery's Turkey Trot.
I have done this race sporatically for the last 25 years, and love seeing the old faces I haven't seen in years. This is a fun race for an old guy, racing against several high schoolers who tend to go out too fast and make me feel younger passing them along the way. I lined up with several CMS runners and went out slow with Kevin McCusker for the 1st mile 5:30. I then began passing several runners for the next mile and a half until I reached the 2nd woman Roisin McGettigan. I passed her and within a 1/2 mile she passed me back and I was stuck 1 second behind her for the rest of the race. I thought for sure I could out kick her but it seems my "get down" speed is still trapped in 1989. I finished 19th 28:54, 3rd master, I won a turkey (which was donated to a homless shelter) and ran 45 seconds faster than last year. I know I can run faster, but I will take this PR for now! I am really looking forward to cranking up my milage again starting next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment