Monday, February 1, 2010

Log Cabin 10k...1/25-1/31

After checking in with Nate on my last few weeks he suggested I do a race to check my fitness. The only 10k I could find was the low key NMC Log cabin 10k in Fitchburg. I had done this race back in Feb of 1988(33:50) and I remember thinking it was short. I was glad to hear they had made the distance legit since then. It is all uphill for 3.1 then all down back. I started out comfortably fast with another guy for almost a mile, when he asked me which way the course went, and I knew he was about to put the hammer down. I then ran alone for the rest of the race trying to keep the guy in sight. I hit the turn in 18:20 and thought I was gaining on him but then he really picked it up and was gone. At the turn I noticed a very good Master runner Ted McMahon tracking me down. He had beaten me by a good 2 minutes last year at New Bedford. I was surprised to be ahead of him, and ran pretty hard back although I was starting to tighten up in the cold wind with shorts on. I ended up 2nd in 35:39 with a new 40+ PR, and I am pretty happy with the time considering my milage and running in the cold. I expect to be much faster by August for the Bridge of Flowers 10k.
Weekly Training
Mon 6 mi easy on treadmill
Tues am 6.2 mi JA 48:50 w/bob,brian
pm 6.5 with cooper easy
Wed 10.5 mi 7mi then 8x200 hill repeats 7:45/mi for the run
Thur 6.2 JA 46:40 w/bob, Mike
Fri 14mi 1 st 6 with cooper then 8 more at 7:45/mi
Sat 13.5 mi 6 with cooper then 7.5 more easy 8+/mi
Sun 17mi 6.5 mi w/u , log cabin race, then 4.5 w/d
Totals 80 mi Year 371 January=371(biggest month ever)

1 comment: